The majority of modern

psychologists hold little stock in Freud's theories AS RULES. There are psychologists who will give a nod to SOME

of his theories and how they are related to the actual models in use, or how current models were developed from his

theories. He is a prominent historical and cultural figure in psychology, and this is why most everyone knows about

him, but for the most part, I would say J.V. Kohl is right. He is about as much of a scientist as Nostradamis...

make enough vague speculations and you are bound to be on target with a few of them.

If any therapist tried to

explain to me how any of my problems stem from an oedipal complex, they would not see another cent from me, but I

guess that must be because of my own defense mechanisms,

right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

However,

most of Freud's specific theories--like his stages of psychosexual development--and especially his methodology,

have fallen out of favor in modern experimental psychology. Some psychotherapists, however, still follow an

approximately Freudian system of treatment. Many more have modified his approach, or joined one of the schools that

branched from his original theories (see Neo-Freudian). Still

others reject his theories entirely, although their practice may still reflect his

influence.
[

1]
. A. C. Grayling, writing in The Guardian in

2002, said "Philosophies that capture the imagination never wholly fade....But as to Freud's claims upon truth, the

judgment of time seems to be running against

him."[2]

Peter D. Kramer, said "I'm afraid [Freud] doesn't hold

up very well at all. It almost feels like a personal betrayal to say that. But every particular is wrong: the

universality of the Oedipus complex, penis envy, infantile sexuality." A 2006 article in

Newsweek magazine called him "history's most debunked

doctor"[3]

Freud's

theories are often criticized for not being real science. This objection was raised most famously by

Karl Popper, who claimed that all proper

scientific theories must be potentially

falsifiable. If a theory cannot possibly be falsified, then it

cannot be considered scientific. Popper argued that no experiment

or observation could ever falsify Freud's theories of psychology (e.g. someone who denies having an Oedipal complex

is interpreted as repressing it), and thus they could not be considered scientific. On the other hand, numerous

experimental and correlational studies have provided empirical support for certain Freudian concepts, such as the

pattern of the anal personality.