Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by terry0400-40 View Post
    IMHO The Man JVK is an individual who is plain and

simply who and what he is, I personally dont doubt his credability especially now that i have been brought to focus

on the Gentleman in the last few weeks,

He has his own unique

and individual style as a human product of his science and all factors considered he is contributing to the forum

and imparting wisdom and reports as well as his own opinions and studies,

and i am thankful that he is hanging around and just being who he is and thats all anyone can

really do.

Maby we have had enough of disecting and

scrutenising the poor guy.

I recon we all should reconsile our

differences and move on whilst life is short and sweet.

I for

one will try and not be sutch a shit stirrer, And seeing as i am one of the least amoungst yous all will save my

venom for any spammers that creep on to the forum BLAM BLAM to our real Enemies
    I

agree with you Terry, and I try to follow the same guidelines of good behavior. I have no differences with anyone

here. Certainly not with JVK, who is the only manufacturer who posts here, and creator of a product which has much

respect from me and many others.

I've not been a party to whatever "conflict" that may be occurring, and I'm

not trying to stir anything, I'm just genuinely curious about JVK's comments, and perceptions of his treatment on

this forum since I wasn't around during the time in question.

I follow his posts with deference to his training,

knowledge and experience.

Cheers mate,
    Greg

To JVK, my question was meant purely as an honest question

because I'm curious. I don't know any of the background of your difficulties in the past vis a vis this forum,

hence my curiosity. As for the current "conflict", I'm not interested. I completely understand your

disinclination to engage opinion where scientific matters are concerned. And, BTW, thanks for such a great

product.

Most sincerely,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    I agree with

you Terry, and I try to follow the same guidelines of good behavior. I have no differences with anyone here.

Certainly not with JVK, who is the only manufacturer who posts here, and creator of a product which has much respect

from me and many others.
    Thanks. However, DrSmellThis and Archtypical Hybrid (HEC) are among other

manufacturers who have posted here, which may help to explain some of our differences.

To JVK, my question was meant purely as an honest question because I'm curious.

I don't know any of the background of your difficulties in the past vis a vis this forum, hence my curiosity. As

for the current "conflict", I'm not interested. I completely understand your disinclination to engage opinion

where scientific matters are concerned. And, BTW, thanks for such a great product.
    Thanks again. I

responded to your post because it was made out of curiousity, and not meant to cause conflict.

James V.

Kohl
    author/creator: The Scent of Eros

Phero Enthusiast tenaciousBLADE's Avatar

Exclamation One of my longest replies ever

A few things JVK (most important is saved for last)...

(My emphasize...)

1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl View Post
    I discussed the censured posts with one of the moderators and with Bruce in January 2007,

and decided to post only to the "Pheromone Research" section.

It is better designed for

scientific purposes, like mine.
    No need to rehash this here. It's the Love-Scent Forum; not my

forum.

I have a popular domain where I can post whatever I like, but it's harder for me to update regularly.

So, my posts to the "Pheromone Research" section are a matter of convenience, and they have helped me to avoid

additional conflict here.

DrSmellThis made some defamatory comments on another Forum, and linked back to

the Love-Scent thread for support of his defamatory comments. He led me to look at posts that had gone from

"Pheromone Research" to more general discussion, which brought me here.
    I'm not planning on any more

debate,
    which is why I posted the comments DrSmellThis made and my response to them. I don't

have time to debate either the "soft" science approach, or discuss the "soft" science comments with anonymous

posters. I try to make time to discuss my "hard" science approach with anyone, anonymous or not, who wants to learn

more about it.

James V. Kohl
    author: The Scent of Eros and The Mind's Eyes
    creator: The Scent of Eros

pheromone-enhanced products
    Well said.
    And I thank you for putting it clearly and politely this time

around. I think I may finally understand what you ment when saying you quit that style of posing on this

forum. If I understand correctly, you mearly ment to respect the forum and it's owners\moderators in your own way.

That I can definitely encourage.

Just FYI: I did notice there was some information censured on

that specific thread, the moment I saw this post

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Mtnjim, Bubba mentioned professional background - see post# 48. Not that I think it matters -

post # 61.
    and realized that replys #48 & #61 are not even present at the thread anymore
    Yet, I

realized it is the forum-moderator's\owner's right to decide to sometimes censure a thread, and did not (& still

don't) have any intention of arguing nor disreguarding their choise\right.
    And I am happy you made the same

decision (as you seem to have made).

and about "I'm not planning on any more debate" - I understand

where you come from on this and am actually very glad to see you're taking the same mature stand as Bruce adviced.

I hope you've decided that by your own free will, and I see the intelligence in that decision.

Much better

attitude than before - and honestly much better put. I thank you for that

2)
    I respect your

style - as long as you respect other's styles too (Hope I have the right grammer hehe ).
    With these last few

posts - You seem to have made a great progress in terms of showing your respect for the styles of others (IMO -

including Bruce... which is nice ). I hope I'm not the only one who sees that; and amongst the ones I hope

who see that too - is also yourself

3)
    I agree

with you Terry, and I try to follow the same guidelines of good behavior. I have no differences with anyone here.

Certainly not with JVK, who is the only manufacturer who posts here, and creator of a product which

has much respect from me and many others.
    Thanks. However, DrSmellThis and Archtypical Hybrid (HEC)

are among other manufacturers who have posted here
    , which may help to explain some of our differences.

Personaly, I see this as (and hope it is) an acknowledgement of the " " " " "authority" " " " of those

two individual personas mentioned in this quote above [notice that the gross word "authority" is only used

here for me lacking a better word I do not intent to mock anyone by using it].
    JVK

clearly made a stand to prevent discrediting their obviously present scientific background on the field.
    This again

is an improvement which I welcome with open arms. Bruce, I think there's a very positive breakthrough here and we

should welcome it as long as we have that oportunity (hope you're reading, rather than me just talking to

the air hehe ).

4)
    which may help to

explain some of our differences.
    I think my emphasiz here makes my little additional point clear.

5)
    For me personally, this is the most important part of my reply, which is why i saved it for

last.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaciousBLADE View Post
    With all that said JVK, and with all due

respect... You are generalizing what you claim to be HIS opinion on you (or agenda... i.e. "wanting to hurt you")...

on everybody else on the forum. you come from a starting premise that we are ALL here to hurt you. Or you at least

seem to doubt each one of us before you trust.
    With Bubba's support, DrSmellThis

sufficiently managed to force me out of this forum for a while, because my responses were limited by the moderators,

at Bruce's suggestion. With enough support from participants like you (there was some support at the time), I might

not have dropped out at all. At the point that most of my posts were censured by the moderators, Forum members were

only getting half the picture. I'm surprised that I've been able to tell the rest of the story in this thread. It

takes very little for a few vocal participants to gain control of what is allowed to be seen on any Forum. My

comments are not meant to implicate the majority of Forum members, who come here for information and to compare

notes.

Instead of coming up with such a mean rude attitude, you could

simply come with the starting assumption that most of us DIDN'T come here to hurt you. Doing otherwise, would be

(and is) disrespectful to us as mear human beings.
    I apologize for being either mean, or

rude; that was not my intent.

Just take it easy man.
    I will.

Thanks.

James V. Kohl
    Sincerely JVK - I'm satisfied. That is all I

asked for. I thank you for taking the time & effort to come down to my point; and for simply mentioning that you had

no intent of being rude. I have the best of hope and I believe that you will probably pay better attention from now

on, to the fact that the readers on this forums are each his\her own individuals, and that you'll show more

specified attention when reguarding specific people (I'm not saying your attention was never specifed though -

don't get me wrong ).

6)
    I think we can be assured that the freedom given in these forums has been of great

service on this specific thread. And I personally would like to thank the moderators who have probably dealt with

some though questions during this long thread.
    I wouldn't like to be in that position lol - yet I think you made a

great job here (from my humble perspective, that is).

P.S.
    I would actually like to see Bubba

being active in the forums; But in no way am I condoning or welcoming further confrontation with such face to face

street fights (If I may call them so... maybe I may not ).
    I think misunderstandings can be solved with

mutual effort. So if there ever would be another such misunderstanding - all it takes is for both sides to wanna get

along with each other and hear each other out rather than try to prove their own side up until the final-round

With that said, I do think that Bubba was intersting and it even might be possible for him to get

along qith all of us (including JVK).
    But then again - that's only my inoccent opinion

Moderators -

feel free to delete my P.S. message if you see fit. I won't take it personaly

Sincerely JVK - I'm satisfied. That is all I asked for. I thank you for taking

the time & effort to come down to my point; and for simply mentioning that you had no intent of being

rude.
    You're welcome. I've learned the difference between intending to be rude and the perception

of being rude. It's the perception that counts, not the intent.

P.S.
    I

would actually like to see Bubba being active in the forums; But in no way am I condoning or welcoming

further confrontation....
    I think misunderstandings can be solved with mutual effort. So if there ever would be

another such misunderstanding - all it takes is for both sides to wanna get along with each other and hear each

other out rather than try to prove their own side up until the final-round
    With that said, I do

think that Bubba was intersting and it even might be possible for him to get along qith all of us (including

JVK).
    But then again - that's only my inoccent opinion
    I'm less innocent. As I

mentioned in my response to Greg, I've gone round and round for years with people who want to tell me how science

should/must be done. If I had ever followed their dictates, I could not have made any scientific progress in the

study of human pheromones. Bubba reminded me of those who hinder progress, but also challenge the methods of people

making the progress, only to dissappear into their anonymity.

James V. Kohl

Phero Enthusiast tenaciousBLADE's Avatar

only to dissappear into their anonymity.
    Yeah, it was that anonymity which I was refering to; saying

that if he will be more active, maybe we can actually see him as a member of the forum and not as a visitor.
    I

remain inoccent though

Yeah,

it was that anonymity which I was refering to; saying that if he will be more active, maybe we can actually see him

as a member of the forum and not as a visitor.
    As I recall, he said he was a sensory scientist

working a few fields away from olfaction. I was reminded of how perspectives can be skewed by not being involved in

olfactory/pheromonal research when I received a reprint today.

Rapid Neuroendocrine Responses to Auditory

Courtship Signals
    Donna L. Maney, Christopher T. Goode, Jessica I. Lake, Henry S. Lange, and Sara O'Brien

Endocrinology. published 6 September 2007, 10.1210/en.2007-0879

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/con...n.2007-0879v1? ct=ct

The neuroendocrine

response that is reported to occur with auditory courtship signals is the same that occurs in response to

olfactory/pheromonal input in mammals, including humans. Yet. because they are studying auditory signals in birds,

there is no reason to look for the involvement of pheromones, and no explanation for why the same response occurs

with exposure to auditory signals. I've seen the same type of thing reported by many people who study avian

species, and who are as yet unaware that even birds produce and respond to pheromones.

For example: Francesco

Bonadonna, Eve Miguel, Vladimir Grosbois, Pierre Jouventin, Jean-Marie Bessiere, 2007. Individual odor recognition

in birds: an endogenous olfactory signature on petrels' feathers? Jour. Chemical Ecology. In Press.

If a

researcher is not aware of what's happening outside his/her discipline, or even with other species, they are

limited to explanations that fit some species (e.g., songbirds), but that are not a consistent fit across species.

So, their research continues to provide no explanation for the response they observe. It's a best guess scenario.

that leads to more and more research, but not meaningful results--at least if you expect them to have meaning to

human sexual behavior. That's one reason PE Meehl was adamant that these researchers simply stop what they are

doing, which is contrasted by Fenyman's encouragment (noted by Bubba) to continue doing the same thing.

One

definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. If Bubba had been

any more specific, I might have been able to comment on problems he might be having with progress to explanations of

his findings. Instead, he was vague enough to criticize my approach, without providing a means to compare our

approaches. His criticisms of my attitude might best have been met with criticisms of his model--if he has a model,

which we may never know. If so, I must consider the entire debate a waste of my time, which is why I should never

enter debate with anonymous posters. Discussion is fine, debate is pointless unless there is some means to compare

the insane nature of some research.

James V. Kohl

As I

recall, he said he was a sensory scientist working a few fields away from olfaction. I was reminded of how

perspectives can be skewed by not being involved in olfactory/pheromonal research when I received a reprint today.

Yet. because they are studying auditory signals in birds, there is no reason to look for the involvement of

pheromones, and no explanation for why the same response occurs with exposure to auditory signals. I've seen the

same type of thing reported by many people who study avian species, and who are as yet unaware that even birds

produce and respond to pheromones.

If a researcher is not aware of what's happening outside his/her discipline,

or even with other species, they are limited to explanations that fit some species (e.g., songbirds), but that are

not a consistent fit across species. So, their research continues to provide no explanation for the response they

observe. It's a best guess scenario. that leads to more and more research, but not meaningful results--at least if

you expect them to have meaning to human sexual behavior. That's one reason PE Meehl was adamant that these

researchers simply stop what they are doing, which is contrasted by Fenyman's encouragment (noted by Bubba) to

continue doing the same thing.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a

different result.

Discussion is fine, debate is pointless unless there is some means to compare the insane

nature of some research.

James V. Kohl
    Reminds me of a line in the

movie Ghostbusters. Dan Ackroyd to Bill Murray after they were booted from the university research post:

"You

don't understand, Venkman, I've worked in the private sector, they expect results."

Thread Information