They don't call it the

"cuddle drug" for nothing...

This is the 'opposite' of a pheromone. Whereas pheromones are used prior to

mating to promote sexual attraction, oxytocin is used after mating to promote bonding with a person. Oxytocin is

why couples spoon, women (and men) want to cuddle after sex, and men roll over and fall asleep after climax.

The

rest of this message is conjecture and based on the assumption that artificial oxytocin placed on the body could

produce the same effect as the natural form after climax:

I would doubt the longevity of this product as well,

as oxytocin is meant to produce a temporary state (whether it be lactating or cuddling after sex). Pheromones, on

the other hand, need to last longer so you have time to interact with many potential mates before you find the one

that suits you best.

If you were thinking of its optimal use, it would be great to have if you wanted to promote

relaxation and intimacy with a loved one, since it gives you the post-sex cuddling session without the sex (but what

man would want that?). As for using it on someone you aren't intimate with, it would most likely make them more

intimate with you as well, meaning touching or bonding. That said, I'm curious of its effect on the same sex.

I could actually see this being beneficial if you want to get someone to drop their guard and open up to you, as

it states, which may be great for introverts (who like to bypass brutal small talk and get to other topics) or

people who like to accelerate new friendships.

For personal use, it might make a great item for people who need

to relax or get some good, loving feelings going through their bodies...I could see the potential downer, though, if

you used it and didn't have an outlet for your affections.

Just a warning for the men out there - I wouldn't

recommend using this for sexual purposes. Like I said, it's purpose is for after sex in humans. Who knows, though

- if you get the oxytocin without the sex, maybe it will cause the cuddly feelings that produce the intimacy needed

to have loving sex.

The skepticism is warranted - if it makes you feel cuddly, how does that help you with other

people? It might make you more trusting and them not so much, so that could create an imbalance.

A combination

of this and NLP techniques may be a great way to develop instant rapport with someone, but that would be an ideal

result.