Close

Hybrid View

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl
    The same

authors presented (note: past tense) preliminary (note: waiting for final results), unpublished data at a conference

prior to finalizing their study, and after finalizing it published it with no mention of the human VNO. What I "get"

(from this) is that their preliminary data did not support the human VNO approach. On the off chance that it did, we

will see a report from the same group that mentions the human VNO.
    James V. Kohl
    author/creator: The Scent of

Eros
    My understanding was rather that the series of studies is not close to being finalized; but that

preliminary data suggested the active role of the human VNO, with a big caveat.

You may have been thinking

about the intial preliminary study being "finalized".

But that was, apparently, always intended as one of a

series, designed to address precisely the methodological problem of isolating the VNO from standard olfaction. That

takes a while to do correctly, even though they appear to have addressed a part of it already. It was the

first issue that occured to me, and no doubt the researchers as well. They're taking care of business, I suspect.

In the mean time we have some highly intriguing initial results; that are none the less critically vulnerable to

the criticism that their "VNOblock" may have interfered with standard olfaction -- for now. Oh well, sucks to be a

scientist. One has to be patient.

I don't believe we should interpret this normal delay as indicative of those

researchers' enthusiasm for the VNO one way or the other. They are moving forward with their expensive program,

apparently. So they must remain somewhat enthused about the possibility of a role for the VNO.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    I don't

believe we should interpret this normal delay as indicative of those researchers' enthusiasm for the VNO one way or

the other. They are moving forward with their expensive program, apparently. So they must remain somewhat enthused

about the possibility of a role for the VNO.
    I've found no recent indication that any researcher who

presents at conferences or publishes in peer reviewed journals has any enthusiasm for the possibility of a

functional human VNO. For example, I just reviewed abstracts from the 40th Annual Meeting of the Japanese

Association for the Study of Taste and Smell, which may be the most recent olfactory conference from which abstracts

are available. It's highly unusual for researchers to hide their work from other researchers, even briefly--as

indicated by the ERCO abstract Irish posted. When the group then publishes without mention of the VNO, it seems more

likely to me that they, too, have lost interest/enthusiasm.

JVK
    author: The Scent of Eros: Mysteries of

Odor in Human Sexuality

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl
    I've found no

recent indication that any researcher who presents at conferences or publishes in peer reviewed journals has any

enthusiasm for the possibility of a functional human VNO. For example, I just reviewed abstracts from the 40th

Annual Meeting of the Japanese Association for the Study of Taste and Smell, which may be the most recent olfactory

conference from which abstracts are available. It's highly unusual for researchers to hide their work from other

researchers, even briefly--as indicated by the ERCO abstract Irish posted. When the group then publishes without

mention of the VNO, it seems more likely to me that they, too, have lost interest/enthusiasm.

JVK
    author: The

Scent of Eros: Mysteries of Odor in Human Sexuality
    I don't see them "hiding" anything. They posted what

they found so far and told us further research was ongoing; and why. THis seems typical rather than unusual, unless

I'm missing something. It wouldn't have made sense for them to mention the VNO, when their series of VNO studies

was not completed. I bet the authors/researchers would agree.

It also wouldn't make sense for them to rush

ahead to publish the preliminary study when it answers only part of the basic scientific question they are asking.

Waiting is the professional --and usual -- thing to do.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Thread Information