Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    It occurred

to me today that if the US went to war just for oil, we would have it.
    Personally, I think we ended up in

Iraq because that chimp in the White House wanted to prove to his daddy that he could really accomplish something,

that he wasn't just a Fu**up. He felt that he could do this by "finishing the job" that daddy didn't, because he

was smart enough not to destabilize the entire Middle East.
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Personally, I think that no

matter which monkey had ended up in the white house, we citizens were going to lose. I can't honestly think of an

action we could have taken that would have ended us up any better than things are now.

It's easy to criticise

and call names but I know I couldn't have done better and wouldn't even try. How about the rest of you? But, my

only agenda is the fact that I despise both parties and feel believing either party is pure idiocy. The thought of

what we may end up with after the next election is even worse than what we had to choose from in the last two. What

a dismal place we've allowed our nation to get too.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnjim View Post
    Personally,

I think we ended up in Iraq because that chimp in the White House wanted to prove to his daddy that he could really

accomplish something, that he wasn't just a Fu**up. He felt that he could do this by "finishing the job" that daddy

didn't, because he was smart enough not to destabilize the entire Middle East.
    C'mon Jim, its not so

easy as that. The Middle East has been "destabilized" since Abraham fooled around with Hagar. I mean this

literally.

We would not be where we are if Bush 41 had just gone in and taken out Saddam before he became a

greater threat. As it is, the current Bush had to clean up a very undesirable mess.

Bel, I gotta absolutely and

completely agree with you. Sadly the times I seem to be pro Democrat or pro Republican are the times I'm simply

making lemonade.
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnjim View Post
    Bel, I

gotta absolutely and completely agree with you. Sadly the times I seem to be pro Democrat or pro Republican are the

times I'm simply making lemonade.
    I try not to judge you or your beliefs, only expressing my own

belief...Or, in this case, utter lack of belief. You honestly seem to be one of the more rational when it comes to

politics, even though I don't always agree with you.

It doesn't matter if a person is a liberal, a

conservative or some hybrid mix of something, all I want people to do is stop and think instead of quoting mantras.

Demanding the government do something they are not capable of doing, like universal healthcare, or providing a

service the already over-taxed public cannot afford is simply asking for trouble. The US government is a disaster

and is getting worse all the time. I keep hoping, and a forlorn hope it is, that people will learn basic math so

they understand that the government is destroying our country with it's ever increasing demands for more revenue.

People can't even seem to figure out that any tax, no matter what segment of the public it is levied against, will

eventually come out of their own pockets, it will be another kink in our declining quality of life in this country.

I have no hope whatsoever that they'll ever even come close to fully understanding the ramifications of the wars in

the gulf region or against terrorism.

I don't claim to understand it all either. All I can do is look at the

over all results as compared to what I believe would have happened. To tell you the truth, I think we are out ahead,

Idesign did a good job of explaining some of the reasons. Do you really believe that Al Gore could have done better?

I don't.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I agree with both of you guys on

this point, and I love the way Jim phrased it. re lemonade. The terms Democrat and Republican have grown so close

to meaning the same thing, admittedly. But there are some issues that keep me a little swayed one way, for what its

worth. That includes both domestic and foreign policies.

Touching on the tax theme, I'm appalled at the

sheep-like reaction of the masses to lay down and accept what should be an outrage against a gov't hell bent on

robbing the people and wasting it on proven failures. Arrgghh!! That, by the way, is but one of the key

differences between a conservative and a liberal. The current Bush should have his pen confiscated on this point.

I applaud his tax cuts, but geez, he's spent like the proverbial drunken sailor.

You know, you two, it takes all

the fun out of it when we can sit here and agree. Geeze!

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    You

know, you two, it takes all the fun out of it when we can sit here and agree. Geeze!
    I'm sure

there's plenty of disagreement to be spread around! I just don't want to be accused of having the "asshole gene".

I tend to be strong in my beliefs, but I AM a nice guy, and accept differences. Civil debate is something lost in

our society, I'd like to reclaim it.

Thread Information