Close

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Default Essence of Alpha Male

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Those who have

followed my work may wish to note the involvement of the LH receptor. Those who have not can now note that my first

presentation to a scientific forum (in 1992) was: LH: the link between sex and the sense of

smell?

http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/conte...97/tw272?ct=ct

James

V. Kohl
    Author/Creator: The Scent of Eros (SoE)

Stranger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

doesn't birth control mess with prolactin in girls? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else...

Birth Control Pills screw

up numerous things and have physiological effects that are still being cataloged. As to your question, I do believe

so because birth control pills operate by stimulating a false pregnancy and prolactin is one of the hormones that

changes in pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

Stranger

So, wouldn't that mess with the

effectiveness of pheromone products?

The marvelous thing about

science is that you find the answer to one question, but it raises many others as you have demonstrated. As to

whether it will definitively (mess) with pheromone's ability to attract? That I can not say for certain without

experimentation~ Any volunteers?

Prolactin is associated with the repression of dopamine, which as you know is

the chemical/neurotransmitter responsible for sexual pleasure among other things. Males with high amounts

(Hyperprolactinemia Symptoms) experience a

lost of libido and every man's dread... impotence. As to the effect on females... I do believe a side affect of the

pills is that they will be harder arouse, therefore you may conclude that it will hinder the ability of pheromones

to work, if my deduction is correct.

Of course who knows pheromones may stimulate some sort of pathway that we

haven't discovered or perhaps interact with current pathways different... (rambling). I'll still with my previous

conclusion.

Default A nose within a nose

Quote Originally Posted by ShyAsianGuy26 View Post
    Of course who knows pheromones may stimulate some sort of pathway that we haven't

discovered or perhaps interact with current pathways different...

(rambling).....
    http://www.physorg.com/news107613674.html
    University of Maryland

researchers unlock mystery of a third olfactory system
    “It allows animals to detect food and determine that

food’s quality, it provides social information like sexual status about other animals, and it can warn an animal

when a predator is present. Because of the great similarities between humans and animals when it comes to the sense

of smell, the more we learn about the building blocks of the system, the more we will learn about how odors affect

our lives.”

James V. Kohl
    author/creator: The Scent of Eros

Phero Enthusiast tenaciousBLADE's Avatar

Red face hehe

Great question about

the birth control... I too, am very curious to know the answer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyAsianGuy26 View Post
    Birth

Control Pills screw up numerous things and have physiological effects that are still being cataloged. As to your

question, I do believe so because birth control pills operate by stimulating a false pregnancy and prolactin is one

of the hormones that changes in pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
    In theory, the relatively static

level of estrogen that is maintained by oral contraceptive disables the cyclic estrogen induced luteinizing hormone

surge that is accompanied by peak monthly testosterone levels in ovulating women, and their peak interest in sex. It

is the cyclic estrogen increase, which is disabled by static estrogen levels, that is most associated with women's

increased olfactory acuity and specificity to the natural body odor of men. Simply put, kill the cycle, and kill the

sex drive of ovulating women, as many studies suggest.

James V. Kohl

Ok, the scientific terms

got me slighty confused but I think I might have got it.
    So... are you saying that birth control DOES indeed harm

the pheromone products' efficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl View Post

Simply put, kill the cycle, and kill the sex drive of ovulating women, as many studies suggest.

James V.

Kohl
    I know women who have been through menopause who still have

plenty of sex drive. Probably not as much as before, but I wouldn't say it was "killed". I'm guessing there are

also plenty of women who have been through menopause who have no sex drive left. So, the cycle is no doubt linked to

sex drive, but perhaps not the final word?

-CAt

Stranger

Talking

I gotta put my 2 cents in here.

I had a GF that was on the pill and her sex drive was too much for me. Everyday sex, I kid you not and when I

couldn't help her she had this little vibrating massager to use on herself. She couldn't get enough. BTW this was

way back without mones so I think the idea she couldn't get pregnant made her feel liberated or she was just a

psycho for sex. I think my girl was maybe a special case. More mental sex drive than hormonal.

Hmm my hormone

studies is a bit dusty... if I am correct the pill is progestrogen which makes the girl develop the muccous membrane

covering the uterus walls at extreme layers preventing the zygote from attaching itself to the walls. since LH is

the opposite of FSH estrogen makes em horny and LH makes em mommies, yeah they would be less sex drive and more

wanting to smell flowers and walk on beaches and take care of loving creatures. And I think I too am correct that in

that state if you suck on their nipples long enough like wks, they will produce milk. I remember hearing it makes

their boobs bigger since I guess the mamari glands are being filled. just the oxitocina( sorry I only remember the

spanish term) is not present to contract the mamaries but I guess with a little help they will secrete milk...wow

hormones are fun!

So from my POV, I see this as maybe a good thing. Since most girl will take pills if they are

already in a relationship, long-term that is. I know many girls do not like taking it but since they are in a

relationship with lots of sex, they don't want to make a mistake so prevent it all together with the pill. So our

mones is only pulling in girls that are not getting much sex and are fertile and horny. Sounds good to me.

Actually, I myself have a

g/f on the pills and everytime we meet she wants & gets sex. We're together for about 2 months and only once have

we met and not made love\sex...
    And that was the first time we went to a movie so I wouldn't even count

that.
    The `mones dO drive her crazy & she says I opened up a VERY horney & open-minded side of her.
    But I'm still

curious to know what the scientific side of it all is... Are the pills (scientificaly) supposed to make it harder on

her to recieve the `mones and be affected by them?

Quote Originally Posted by tenaciousBLADE View Post
    But

I'm still curious to know what the scientific side of it all is... Are the pills (scientificaly) supposed to make

it harder on her to recieve the `mones and be affected by them?
    The answer to your question is:

Yes! However, this thread is another example of why I quit posting anything besides research-oriented information.

And here, even when it started with research, discussion took it to individual opinions, which are great for the

individuals to whom they apply, and great for some people who want to discuss opinions. I'll opt out of further

discussion of opinions and continue to pursue the science.

James V. Kohl
    author/creator: The Scent of

Eros

Science is great and it

gives the answers we were looking for, but sometimes it helps to add an explenation that is a bit more readable by

people who are somewhat less experienced with the scientific terms. An explenation such as the simple "Yes!" you

just gave.
    People should be free to give their own opinions based on their experience - Science is great, but

although it strives to - it is not yet complete
    Please don't quit giving your own experience. Specially being

it a more profound one in scientific terms
    The fact that other people post their own ideas & views doesn't take

back from your replies nor theirs'... Especially taking into account that your product is one of my 3 top favorites

Anyway what I'm trying to say is: It wasn't that discussion took it to individual opinions, but rather

that the science was put into a too-sophisticated lenguage (at least in my standarts). That simple yes was - though

quite a sad thing to hear - all the answer I was lacking
    Last edited by tenaciousBLADE; 09-03-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling cleanup

Where Velvet Darkness is Kissed by Golden Starlight

Default Areas for appropriate responses.

Science is great and it gives the answers we were looking for, but

sometimes it helps to add an explenation that is a bit more readable by people who are somewhat less experienced

with the scientific terms. An explenation such as the simple "Yes!" you just gave.
    People should be free to give

their own opinions based on their experience - Science is great, but although it strives to - it is not yet complete

Please don't quit giving your own experience. Specially being it a more profound one in scientific terms

The fact that other people post their own ideas & views doesn't take back from your replies nor theirs'...

Especially taking into account that your product is one of my 3 top favorites
    Anyway what I'm trying to

say is: It wasn't that discussion took it to individual opinions, but rather that the science was put into a

too-sophisticated lenguage (at least in my standarts). That simple yes was - though quite a sad thing to hear - all

the answer I was lacking
    Ive noticed that Essence of Alpha Male has ended

up in the Pheromone Discussion area, so we must therefore assume that is was purposefully placed here to get

attention and feedback comments from all or anyone wishing to contribute their own input regarding the material

posted up as the thread starter.

It would be obvious that if a poster did not wish to communicate in a general and normal

manner with other individuals on the forum with respect to their presentations of opinions posted then they would

have the option of keeping their statements confined to another more suitable area that may facilitate their needs

more adequately.

So it is thankfully appreciated that the God of science has thrown us a crumb of scientific

material, that hopefully we may digest.

And therefore become wise and gain an understanding of the subject which is of

an interest, and also a possable benefit to most of us.
    I AM. Out of my mind .... .... ....

lol.. nicely and

interestingly put

even

when it started with research, discussion took it to individual opinions, which are great for the individuals to

whom they apply, and great for some people who want to discuss opinions. I'll opt out of further discussion of

opinions and continue to pursue the science.

James V. Kohl

James-

I respect you a lot, I am a huge fan of SOE, and your input to this forum has clearly been invaluable

over the years.

Having said that, I must say your response is confusing to me, because it seems dismissive and

self-righteous. I was trained as a scientist too (molecular biology)-- worked at Cold Spring Harbor Lab at one point

in fact. And I think it is absurd to believe that science does not include opinions. Is that what you were trying to

say?

Scientists are some of the most opinionated, arguementative people I've met. There is constant debate in

scientific journals based on opinion. Interpretation of data and results always involves judgment and opinion at

some level. Science is not pure or objective. Science is a human paradigm, and humans are by nature subjective.

And no less so when you are dealing with the effects of chemicals on human behvior. This is anything but

objective. Even randomized, double-blind studies are subject to interpretation. The conclusions of any research are

never fact, but are the opinion of the researcher--theoretically they are based on pure logic, but if that were the

case we wouldn't have so much debate in every field of science.

We could take this into a whole debate over

epistemology (how we know what we know), but actually I don't even think we were giving opinions anyway. We were

describing anecdotal evidence that seems to contradict the science you were sharing, and we were simply asking how

you might explain this anecdotal evidence in light of the research.

The fact is that NOT ALL women lose their

sex drive when they lose their cycle, so we were curious how that fits into the science you are trying to share. I

don't think that is expressing opinion so much as trying to understand how the sophisticated study you were sharing

fits in with other observations.

Respectfully,

-CAt

lol.. nicely and interestingly put
    I only

thought it would be obviously expected that one should receive questions to a post he had posted on a forum of this

nature.

Otherwise the information would have been more suited

to a scientific journal ect........ Eg to be veiwed disected and understood by educated academic and or scientific

minded individuals.

I am thankfull that the Gentleman

does dispense of his valuable time to give us the information that he contributes, but i for one being just a normal

type BUFFOON would have some difficulty in understanding the material and i really appreciate the feedback given

when i see other members asking for clarification on the posted material at times., and this usually leads me to

understand the scientific wording and meanings of the original post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by terry0400-40; 09-03-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: x word

Default A Mammoth Task in the Creation of SOE.

Those who have followed my work may wish to note the involvement of the LH

receptor. Those who have not can now note that my first presentation to a scientific forum (in 1992) was: LH: the

link between sex and the sense of smell?

http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/conte...97/tw272?ct=ct

James V.

Kohl
    Author/Creator: The Scent of Eros (SoE)
    I being an uducated person can

hardly begin to imagion the Intelligence requirement that must have gone in to the creation of Scent of

Eros.

I

would say it must have been a mammoth task in just being able to convince say Stone Labs for example, or whoever, to

go so far out on a limb and actually combine two completly unknown pheromones like Androstenol and Androsterone at a

80% - 20% ratio.

Then the actual mind draining task of finding sutch a beautifull name to compliment the product is

i feel worthy of great applause.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the society of this great planet Earth has

indeed been blessed by the exceeding brilliance of this great creator.

In conclusion i can only add that we are so

privileged to actually have a being of this magnificient magnitude in our prescence and it is only natural to want

to reach out and touch the hem of his garment in sweet communion....

Quote Originally Posted by CAtriathlete View Post
    James-
    I think it is absurd to believe that science does not include opinions. Is

that what you were trying to say?-CAt
    I specified "individual" opinions, which are based on anecdotal

(i.e., subjective) evidence. In any case, your points are well-taken. At least you know about epistemology. When I

continue to discuss the science, people (see terry0400-40) make comments that I find offensive: "In conclusion i can

only add that we are so privileged to actually have a being of this magnificient magnitude in our prescence and it

is only natural to want to reach out and touch the hem of his garment in sweet communion...."

We could take this into a whole debate over epistemology (how we know what we

know), but actually I don't even think we were giving opinions anyway.

We were describing anecdotal evidence

that seems to contradict the science you were sharing, and we were simply asking how you might explain this

anecdotal evidence in light of the research.-CAt
    "Seems to contradict" is the key issue. If people

were more interested in learning about the science, they would find no contradictions--other than in their own

anecdotes. They might then try to scientifically establish why these contradictions exist (in their world, and often

in others).

The fact is that NOT ALL women lose their sex drive when they lose

their cycle, so we were curious how that fits into the science you are trying to share. I don't think that is

expressing opinion so much as trying to understand how the sophisticated study you were sharing fits in with other

observations.-CAt
    A woman whose life-long experience with pheromones has conditioned her sexual

response cycle very positively, is not nearly as likely to lose her hormone-dependent sex drive. In fact, due to the

estrogen decline, the effects of testosterone may bee "unmasked" in some cases leading to increased sex drive. But,

as you can probably tell, this is a scientific explanation, not merely an individual opinion based on someone's

anecdotal experience.

And, given the ridicule I've experienced from anonymous members of this Forum, you can

also probably tell why I care less and less about what people think or say--compared to non-anonymous researchers

with whom I regularly correspond. I don't think that is so much an issue of my ego, as it is how I choose to spend

my productive time.

I don't mind spending time responding to comments like yours, but there are too many

people on this Forum who are not the least bit interested in the science of human pheromones.

James V.

Kohl

The there are those of us that

read every scientific post and may ask an occasional question but rarely venture an opinion because we realize we

aren't qualified. Question should always be voiced, even (especially) from us laymen. It helps us better understand

the issues and concepts. Random babble is another thing and I can understand why that would upset any serious

poster.

There are all kinds of people on any public forum. But I think the majority feel they benefit from the

scientific posts, even if we don't feel we know enough to have an opinion.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

When I

continue to discuss the science, people (see terry0400-40) make comments that I find offensive: "In conclusion i can

only add that we are so privileged to actually have a being of this magnificient magnitude in our prescence and it

is only natural to want to reach out and touch the hem of his garment in sweet communion...."
    James, I

hate to mention this, but, I think Terry was giving you a complement, in his own odd way.
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Default The J V Personalised ?

I specified "individual" opinions, which are based on anecdotal (i.e., subjective) evidence.

In any case, your points are well-taken. At least you know about epistemology. When I continue to discuss the

science, people (see terry0400-40) make comments that I find offensive: "In conclusion i can only add that we are so

privileged to actually have a being of this magnificient magnitude in our prescence and it is only natural to want

to reach out and touch the hem of his garment in sweet communion...."

"Seems to contradict" is the key

issue. If people were more interested in learning about the science, they would find no contradictions--other than

in their own anecdotes. They might then try to scientifically establish why these contradictions exist (in their

world, and often in others).

A woman whose life-long experience with pheromones has conditioned her sexual

response cycle very positively, is not nearly as likely to lose her hormone-dependent sex drive. In fact, due to the

estrogen decline, the effects of testosterone may bee "unmasked" in some cases leading to increased sex drive. But,

as you can probably tell, this is a scientific explanation, not merely an individual opinion based on someone's

anecdotal experience.

And, given the ridicule I've experienced from anonymous members of this Forum, you can

also probably tell why I care less and less about what people think or say--compared to non-anonymous researchers

with whom I regularly correspond. I don't think that is so much an issue of my ego, as it is how I choose to spend

my productive time.

I don't mind spending time responding to comments like yours, but there are too many people

on this Forum who are not the least bit interested in the science of human pheromones.

James V.

Kohl
    PLZ dont be offended by me Big Guy

JV , Im just spraying up a little chalk dust talk, And i am one of those who probably are not so interested in the

hard nosed science of Pheromone research, ha ga ga, But i do enjoy the effects of applying a substance and observing

some of the magic that it can add to a scene.

But you are a good bloke i would say,
    And you have your way of expressing your self, I amoungst others probably just reacting a little

as we like to see more of you, and probably un be known to us would like to share closer and some warm rapport with

you.

And i

sure can be a stupid headed little ninny sometimes as all can plainly see,

But in heart wish you well with peace and prosperity. in truth.

Red face Acceptance is the bridge between us. Let us all help build it for one another.

First thing's first...

Originally Posted by

Mtnjim:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvkohl

[IMG]http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/image

s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]

When I continue to discuss the science, people (see terry0400-40) make

comments that I find offensive: "In conclusion i can only add that we are so privileged to actually have a being of

this magnificient magnitude in our prescence and it is only natural to want to reach out and touch the hem of his

garment in sweet communion...."
    James, I hate to mention this, but, I think Terry was giving you a

complement, in his own odd way.
    I totally agree. In fact I based my own

reply...
    Originally Posted by tenaciousBLADE

lol.. nicely and interestingly put
    on that

exact notion. So jvkohl... take it easy . I'm pretty sure we all here have the fullest respect for

your input. I know I do... furthermore, I look forward to it everytime

Second...
    Science,

at leat such high level science as how pheromones work (and make no mistake of it: I honestly view this type of

science as a very high-level one), is not reachable for anyone and takes a lot of effort to learn & study (you

should know ). Some people cannot afford the time\money or patience to actually go and study that science

thoroughly. You said:
    Originally Posted by jvkohl

If people were more interested in learning about the science, they would find

no contradictions--other than in their own anecdotes. They might then try to scientifically establish why these

contradictions exist (in their world, and often in others).
    Some peoples' way of learning about science

such as this particular one, is to read and post in forums such as this. I'm sure you can understand that, right?

Including myself in that group of people, i can say, that we do learn alot from your posts... Yet it may

take some of us some time to realize or fully understand what your answers mean exactly; considering that we do not

have the jargon nor the experience with such complexed and sometimes never-before-heared (through our ears at least)

scientific lingo.

I can only speak for myself, however I don't think anyone here had any intension of insulting

you in any way
    Granted, sometimes you might sound\seem\feel a little "dismissive and self-righteous"...

because it seems as if you only reply to people with the scentific background... as if the lot of us who hasn't

learned on that specific field has no right to talk with you or earn your respect\experience\answers. But my guess

is that you might think of our replies in the same manner sometimes... and that the fact that we reply in a lingo

that is a bit weak may feel insulting to you. Well please take these next few words not as an insult, but as a

compliment... `coz that is honestly the way I mean them:
    Some of us venture our opinions out of curiosity. Science

is not defenent and that is exactly the reason it still exists as a developping proccess... to answer the questions

it raises up, and fill the curiosity of human nature. I can't speak for others yet I'm pretty sure most here would

agree with me (no offense anyone)... I am curious and when I don't understand an answer I keep on asking the

question and try to explain my question a bit more to the detail. The answer wasn't clear to me... up until the

very point you said "Yes". In no way should it be offensieve to you that a simple word was needed.

What I'm

trying to say, jvkohl, is simply (and sincerely):
    Don't be offended by our ignorance. Just try to help us

through it instead
    `Coz honestly... You're one of the most experienced people on the forums, and as such -

you're one we can learn from; but for that to happen you have to let us. So why threat to quit posting, when you

can just teach us some valuable knowledge about your field insted?

Well, I trully hope I got at

least SOME of the situation right and that my words helped in some way what so ever. `Coz otherwise I've just made

a big fool of myself

JV, people have made some respectable efforts with their words to try and make you

understand that we mean no harm. Please... make that worthwhile and keep on posting your knowledge mate
    It's

all for a good edjucative pupose

First thing's first...

I totally agree. In fact I based my own reply...

on that exact notion. So jvkohl... take it easy . I'm pretty sure we all here have the

fullest respect for your input. I know I do... furthermore, I look forward to it everytime

Second...
    Science, at leat such high level science as how pheromones work (and make no mistake of it: I honestly

view this type of science as a very high-level one), is not reachable for anyone and takes a lot of effort to learn

& study (you should know ). Some people cannot afford the time\money or patience to actually go and study that

science thoroughly. You said:

Some peoples' way of learning about science such as this particular one, is to

read and post in forums such as this. I'm sure you can understand that, right?
    Including myself in that group

of people, i can say, that we do learn alot from your posts... Yet it may take some of us some time to

realize or fully understand what your answers mean exactly; considering that we do not have the jargon nor the

experience with such complexed and sometimes never-before-heared (through our ears at least) scientific lingo.

I

can only speak for myself, however I don't think anyone here had any intension of insulting you in any way

Granted, sometimes you might sound\seem\feel a little "dismissive and self-righteous"... because it seems as

if you only reply to people with the scentific background... as if the lot of us who hasn't learned on that

specific field has no right to talk with you or earn your respect\experience\answers. But my guess is that you

might think of our replies in the same manner sometimes... and that the fact that we reply in a lingo that is a bit

weak may feel insulting to you. Well please take these next few words not as an insult, but as a compliment... `coz

that is honestly the way I mean them:
    Some of us venture our opinions out of curiosity. Science is not defenent and

that is exactly the reason it still exists as a developping proccess... to answer the questions it raises up, and

fill the curiosity of human nature. I can't speak for others yet I'm pretty sure most here would agree with me (no

offense anyone)... I am curious and when I don't understand an answer I keep on asking the question and try to

explain my question a bit more to the detail. The answer wasn't clear to me... up until the very point you said

"Yes". In no way should it be offensieve to you that a simple word was needed.

What I'm trying to say,

jvkohl, is simply (and sincerely):
    Don't be offended by our ignorance. Just try to help us through it

instead
    `Coz honestly... You're one of the most experienced people on the forums, and as such - you're one we

can learn from; but for that to happen you have to let us. So why threat to quit posting, when you can just teach us

some valuable knowledge about your field insted?

Well, I trully hope I got at least SOME of the

situation right and that my words helped in some way what so ever. `Coz otherwise I've just made a big fool of

myself

JV, people have made some respectable efforts with their words to try and make you understand that

we mean no harm. Please... make that worthwhile and keep on posting your knowledge mate
    It's all for a good

edjucative pupose
    I will second what you have said T Blade, i

wouldn't for one minute think you have made a fool of your self in making your sincere comments it just shows us

that you are made up of fine material. good silk nickers type stuff lol,

Oh excuse my stupid puns once again iv started up, i hope not.

Well in all honesty my lack of understanding

of the man within the scientist has caused me to react in a less than pure intent when discussing the Great One, the

Great well Established Icon @ Love- Scent, And i have exibited an amount of cheeky

banter.

But

when i had discovered to my suprise that the Great One had actually read and commented on my post, that even may

have ruffled some of his tail feathers a tad,

His human reaction

had a really softening and humbling effect upon me where i did really feel compassion within my self for him as a

human being, the one within the scientist.

I'm

pretty sure we all here have the fullest respect for your input. I know I do... furthermore, I look forward to it

everytime
    Thanks, but you must have missed the thread that caused me to drop out of most general

discussion. Here's what Bruce had to say about my

input.
    http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=38

When the anonymous

Bubba was pronounced the superior scientist, I found a different Forum where my "hard" scientific approach was

better accepted than the "soft" social science of others, like Bubba, who contribute here. It's great when people

don't misinterpret my comments and when I don't misinterpret theirs--but as we all know--it happens. I'm glad you

took the time to help explain why it happens.

James V. Kohl

There was a lot more to that

discussion and that one post, taken out of context, is unfair to everybody. If anybody would like to know more,

please read the entire thread: http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/sh...546#post197546
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks - I was wondering

how to get there, and I did get to think to myself "ok... but why did he only sned me that one post?"

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    There was a

lot more to that discussion and that one post, taken out of context, is unfair to everybody.
    Sorry,

belgareth. I tried to place Bruce's post in the context of "hard" science, like neuroscience, compared to "soft"

science, like social psychology. Different branches of science have different philosophical approaches.

James V. Kohl

Different

branches of science have different philosophical approaches.
    I am far less critical of the soft

science approach than others, and am not advocating that any contributer to this Forum become a shoe salesperson. On

the other hand, I do not wish to engage them in debate about my ego after they have repeatedly commented negatively

on my hard science approach.

“Since the null hypothesis refutation racket is “steady work” and has the

merits of an automated research grinding device, scholars who are pardonably devoted to making more money and

keeping their jobs so that they can pay off the mortgage and buy hamburgers for the wife and kids are unlikely to

contemplate with equanimity a criticism that says that their whole procedure is scientifically feckless and that

they should quit doing it and do something else. In the soft areas of psychology that might, in some cases, mean

that they should quit the academy and make an honest living selling shoes, which people of bookish temperament

naturally do not want to do.”

Full text

at:
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~pemeehl/144WhySummaries.pdf

PE Meehl has other works that attest to

the number of doctoral students he has taught, and that no one ever told him--even anonymously--that they thought

his ego was the problem.

James V. Kohl

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information