Close

Default Human VNO does not play a major role

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Back

to 2003 for an earlier indication of what researchers know about the human VNO.
    ----------------

Knecht M,

Lundstrom JN, Witt M, Huttenbrink KB, Heilmann S, Hummel T.Assessment of olfactory function and androstenone odor

thresholds in humans with or without functional occlusion of the vomeronasal duct. Behav Neurosci. 2003 Dec; 117(6):

1135-41.

KEY INDICATION: The human vomeronasal duct, and therefore, the human VNO does not play a major role

in sensitivity toward odorants or the perception of a putative human pheromone.

Stranger

hmn - but didn't the

'research' by berliner, monti-bloch, etc already state that adrostenone did not stimulate the VNO? They stated

-dienone was the putative human pheromone. Therefore this result is to be expected. It just proves that if the VNO

exists it doesn't respond to -none.

Phero Pro

jvkohl, I don't want to sound

like sour grapes, but why are you stressing this whole issue of the VNO in most of your posts lately??

anyway

KEY INDICATION: The human vomeronasal duct, and therefore, the human VNO does not play a major

role in sensitivity toward odorants or the perception of a putative human pheromone.

key word: does not play

a MAJOR role

therefore, does it play a MINOR role? even if it were a minor role, it means it does play some

role in the equation.

the researches have left a gap for interpretation...interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bronzie
    jvkohl, I don't

want to sound like sour grapes, but why are you stressing this whole issue of the VNO in most of your posts

lately??
    Because I've been advised to address the issue of the non-existent human VNO in the

"Research" section, rather than to respond to Archetypical Hybrid (HEC)'s posts that tell me I'm wrong, and there

actually is such a thing. There are several more published references I can cite to make my point clear, which is

basically that I'm tired of marketing under the guise of pheromone science.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzie
    KEY INDICATION:

The human vomeronasal duct, and therefore, the human VNO does not play a major role in sensitivity toward odorants

or the perception of a putative human pheromone.

key word: does not play a MAJOR role

therefore, does

it play a MINOR role?
    No, unless someone can show how it is connected to a pheromone-induced change

in hormones linked to changes in behavior.

JVK

Quote Originally Posted by ratspeaker
    hmn - but didn't

the 'research' by berliner, monti-bloch, etc already state that adrostenone did not stimulate the

VNO?
    I think that's correct, and also vaguely recall that they tested DHEA, and some other

product-marketed-by-others' components. I have the journal articles, and could look this up--but have lost interest

in their approach. They had a vested interest in eliminating androsterone/androstenol ("pig pheromones" they called

them) products from competition. Androstenol was later shown to influence levels of luteinizing hormone in women--as

a human pheromone would be expected to do.

They stated -dienone was the putative human

pheromone. Therefore this result is to be expected. It just proves that if the VNO exists it doesn't respond to

-none.
    Not really, since even their work with -dienone was not independently replicated. So, not only

is there no scientific proof that a functional human VNO exists, but there is nothing that attempts to independently

establish whether or not this "organ" responds to anything.

JVK

Stranger

Hmn - The VNO debate would

seem contentious, but, I can vouch in my own amateur way that -dienone does seem to have an effect on the female

psyche.

Hmn - The VNO

debate would seem contentious, but, I can vouch in my own amateur way that -dienone does seem to have an effect on

the female psyche.
    If you examine the research using -dienone, there does seem to be an effect on

mood, which is why researchers are continuing to experiment with it. Not because they think it activates a human VNO

(they no longer think this), but simply because whatever it does do needs further explanation. Brain imagery will be

helpful in this regard. But even now there is debate over what type of brain imagery will prove to be most useful.

JVK

Thread Information