Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl View Post
even

when it started with research, discussion took it to individual opinions, which are great for the individuals to

whom they apply, and great for some people who want to discuss opinions. I'll opt out of further discussion of

opinions and continue to pursue the science.

James V. Kohl
author/creator: The Scent of Eros

James-

I respect you a lot, I am a huge fan of SOE, and your input to this forum has clearly been invaluable

over the years.

Having said that, I must say your response is confusing to me, because it seems dismissive and

self-righteous. I was trained as a scientist too (molecular biology)-- worked at Cold Spring Harbor Lab at one point

in fact. And I think it is absurd to believe that science does not include opinions. Is that what you were trying to

say?

Scientists are some of the most opinionated, arguementative people I've met. There is constant debate in

scientific journals based on opinion. Interpretation of data and results always involves judgment and opinion at

some level. Science is not pure or objective. Science is a human paradigm, and humans are by nature subjective.

And no less so when you are dealing with the effects of chemicals on human behvior. This is anything but

objective. Even randomized, double-blind studies are subject to interpretation. The conclusions of any research are

never fact, but are the opinion of the researcher--theoretically they are based on pure logic, but if that were the

case we wouldn't have so much debate in every field of science.

We could take this into a whole debate over

epistemology (how we know what we know), but actually I don't even think we were giving opinions anyway. We were

describing anecdotal evidence that seems to contradict the science you were sharing, and we were simply asking how

you might explain this anecdotal evidence in light of the research.

The fact is that NOT ALL women lose their

sex drive when they lose their cycle, so we were curious how that fits into the science you are trying to share. I

don't think that is expressing opinion so much as trying to understand how the sophisticated study you were sharing

fits in with other observations.

Respectfully,

-CAt